Bacteria Not all of these items are to be feared or completely avoided in and of Bacteria themselves, however, if they are utilized or consumed on a consistent basis or in excess, especially with the absence of “the good”, then “the ugly” will eventually occur.
Also, several diseases and disorders contribute to imbalance, in which case its even more important to give attention to your gut.
- Acid suppressing drugs
- Alcohol Antibiotics
- Artificial sweeteners
- Birth control pills Constipation
- Crohn’s disease
- Diabetes Diverticulosis Fatty foods
- Gastric bypass surgery Hormone
- therapy Hypothyroidism
- Infections Low fiber diet
- Overconsumption of sugar
- Parasites Steroids Stress
We all like good news, don’t we? Well, the good news is that you can repopulate your gut with healthy bacteria, leading to a happier tummy and better overall health by not only avoiding “the bad” but also embracing that which will promote good bacterial growth. This can be done by adopting a few different things.
- Diet – Consume foods with prebiotic ingredients, ones that will stimulate the growth of good bacteria. These are foods such as artichokes, chicory, jicama, gluten-free rolled oats, garlic, leeks, onions, asparagus, and a wide variety of dark leafy greens. Additionally, fermented foods are an excellent source. These include sauerkraut, cabbage, kefir, and kombucha.
- Lifestyle – Chronic stress is hazardous to the body. It not only impacts our mental health and relationships, but also effects our gut health, hormonal balance, and immune function just to name a few. Can you identify areas in your life that are contributing to chronic stress and seek assistance on managing these in a more balanced way?
- Probiotic – Repopulating the gut with a robust probiotic may be necessary for a time, or in some cases, indefinitely. Probiotics are large amounts of live bacteria and can be taken in pill, powder, or liquid form. Not just any probiotic will do. The type of bacteria it contains, how its harvested, and the type of capsule are all important in ensuring that it is utilized in the right portion of the digestive tract. If its not the proper type of capsule it will release the enzymes too quickly and they will be rendered ineffective. Probiotics need to be received in the later part of the tract, so the capsule has to be able to withstand all the stomach acid until it reaches the colon. This article is beneficial in further understanding probiotics and how to select the right one.
Wondering what happens when our guts are out of balance? Likely some of the things you already experience from time to time or on a daily basis, or much bigger issues. Imbalance can lead to everything from chronic constipation or diarrhea, yeast overgrowth (Candida), Leaky Gut Syndrome, (both of which are grounds for even greater health issues), IBS, and much more. My IBS download may be beneficial to those struggling to get their symptoms under control.
But not need to worry! Balance can most certainly be obtained, health restored, and it can be done with simple modifications and deliciously satisfying recipes. How much better can it get